domingo, outubro 02, 2005

Playing above your roll

This has to be one of the most common mistakes beginners make. Most of the times they just don't have enough money to play where they decide to start. Yesterday I couldn't find a good game on FullTilt so I decided to play NL $2/4 (400) buy-in. That was close to 80% of my roll at full-tilt. That alone should have been the reason for not playing, however I let my stubborness decide for me. It cost me $215 after 35 hands. I started well flopping a set of 6s and soon after I had kings and flopped kings full of sixes. I loosened up too much and after 35 hands I had played more than 30% of my hands. In one case losing with my dreaded QJo to KQs. I was outkicked and outplayed.

Unfortunetely I was playing above my roll and now I have to work my way back to where I was. Another important factor I didn't mention is that I was certainly playing in a game I cannot beat. I have a hard time playing NL 50, what was I thinking when I decided to play NL 400? Bad bad move.

On a good note I finished September up 1.71bb/100 over 7.3k hands. On the other hand, I started the month -$215. Back to work.