quinta-feira, fevereiro 02, 2006

Mixing It Up!

Today I got home a bit later than usual after a stressful day at work. I love playing poker and it relaxes me. I know most people get really upset and stressed about it, but mostly I enjoy it and find it rewarding in regards of relieving stress. The past weekend I didn't enjoy playing poker because I was so result oriented and I was forcing many different plays that I normally don't need to do.

I could have easily made the money in the two tournaments I played [$10+1FT(417) and $20+2PP(1567)], but while I showed patience in the FT tournament, I managed to get anxious in the PP tournament. I am talking about raising in the CO with 56s which is okay, but calling a reraise all-in after the button and the small blind called. Pot odds or not, I should have saved one third of my stack. I missed the flop, not that it mattered since the other two players had KK vs JJ. I couldn't win my next race and I was out in 267th out of 1567.

It was a different story in the FullTilt tournament. I was patient waiting for the right oportunities. I kept increasing my chips little by little. I made it to the final table with a short stack, but enough to wait for a serious hand. Two players got knocked out and I continued to wait for the hands. I managed to pick up blinds with good hands but no one would call me down. Finally the next hand played out...

http://www.pokerhand.org/?232311

... and I was out in 7th winning $135. The jumps were significant and I was interested in placing at least top 4. Unfortunetely it's poker and I know I will be there again if I continue to play solid poker.

To control the boredom of one table I started playing $3-6 shorthanded. It's a really good game, and I am learning a lot about aggressiveness and controlling it. I played really well and made about $90 bucks after a 270 hands session. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by making this "happy" post.